Thursday, September 3, 2020

~~ Burn ~~

 We like to do those frozen Italian dinners from Sam's - yum! - about once a week or so.  Last week I was heating up Chicken Fettuccine for dinner.  Super simple - remove lid, place on cookie sheet and bake!  The timer went off and I go in with my hot pad on one hand, thinking "I got this, who needs two hands?"  Well, I grab the cookie sheet with my right hand, protected by the hot pad and just as I bring it up to place it on the counter..... the dish slid and I, without thinking, grabbed the side of the cookie sheet.

The cookie sheet THAT JUST CAME OUT OF THE HOT OVEN!

The hand THAT DID NOT HAVE A HOT PAD ON IT!

It was an instant - I burned my thumb and two fingers, but I did not drop that Fettuccine!

What is funny about this is it brought back these two very distinct memories.  Ya know how they say a smell or a song can bring up old memories, well it was like that.

The first thing that came to mind was the time Jesse was maybe about a year and a half old and we were heating up tortillas on the comal, which happened to be on the front burn of the stove.  He just walked right by the stove and for some reason reached up and touched it.  That was over 15 years ago and I still feel terrible when I think of that.  My baby, oh he screamed and cried!  The blisters were so big on the tips of his little fingers and the worst part was having to doctor them until they were better.  As a momma, it is just the worst when your babies are in pain.  You feeling in your gut.   

The other incident was when I was younger, maybe 12 or 13.  My cousin and I were with my dad and grandfather out in the country at the family farm.  While they worked my cousin and I rode up and down the dirt road on his go cart.  I'm younger, so anytime the go cart died or needed to be restarted I had to go around to the back and pull the starter.  It was like a lawnmower engine, it was square and you pull the rope to start it.  Not hard and not a big deal,  I did it many times.  But for some reason this one time I was having trouble pulling the rope, so I put my left hand on the engine for leverage.....it was HOT!  Ended up with a HUGE blister down the side of my hand and that was the end of go carting for that day.

So the lesson I learned - just because you think you can take something out of the HOT oven with only one hand doesn't mean you should!


No comments: