Thursday, January 7, 2010

~~ What's For Lunch? And Dinner? ~~


I started today off running late--I woke up at 7:36 and Jesse is suppose to be at school at 7:45. I forgot to set my alarm, probably because I was depending on one of the boys waking up before 7:00-like they usually do. OH WELL. He made it to school before 8:00.

I took my time getting myself and Michael ready and it was probably 9:30 when I dropped him off. So nice not having to rush to get him to school before the bell rings.

I didn't have any big plans for the rest of the day, so I decided I'd surprise Jesse at lunch with some Taco Bell. He was surprised and he was SO excited! Just look at that smile!



Then I came home and started cooking. I've been wanting to try a couple of new recipes and since it is freezing cold, I thought I'd try some cold weather recipes.


First I made this:














Ghostly White Chili from HEB Showtime Magazine

1 1/2 lb ground turkey
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp italian seasoning
2 tbsp flour
1 carton chicken broth
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 can (15oz) white beans

Brown turkey. Stir in garlic, seasoning, and flour until nicely browned. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, and beans, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, uncovered.

Then I made this:















Banana Bread (my Grandmother & Great Grandmother's recipe)
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp soda
3 bananas mashed
Bake 1 1/2 hr at 300

Then I made this:





























Potato Soup-recipe is my sweet friend's at No Onions

It was a lot of food and it was all SO good.
The chili was good, but I think it was too soupy, so next time I hold back on the chicken broth and maybe add some more or different kinds of beans.
There is nothing like a warm slice of banana bread fresh from the oven.
The potato soup was a huge hit with everyone, a new favorite at our house. I have to admit I wasn't sure about the bacon grease, but oh boy it was yummy!

No comments: